Together with our community
It’s been a difficult few weeks. Everyone we know in the Top End is dealing in their own ways with the COVID-19 outbreak. We know that’s where many of you are focusing your energy, and we’re thinking of you.
We also know that the gamba threat isn’t going anywhere. Volunteer firies are already raising their fears about this year’s Dry. There’s a big risk that fewer people will be able to safely volunteer with their local fire brigades, and training will be difficult while we all keep our distance. Combined with the risk of faster, hotter fires from gamba, that means big risks for all of us.
Our team is working from home to help stop the spread of the virus, and we know that it’s everyone’s job to help our community through this.
So we want to ask you: how can we help?
We’re already talking to the NT Government, other parties and independents about:
- Supporting the Territory with a surge in gamba control efforts to create good local jobs
- A resilience package for Litchfield National Park, to lead our economic rebound after the crisis
- More support for our firefighters to get through this crisis and deal with the coming fire season
Our community is still fighting hard for the gamba threat to be taken seriously. We’ve heard from many of our supporters with some great ideas that we can put together for all Territorians:
- Video tutorials on how to deal with gamba using basic supplies around the home
- Factsheets on how to tackle gamba: how to spot the weed, what to do to get rid of it, and how to get support
- Ways that you can take action and ask the NT Government to do the right thing: writing letters to the paper, making calls to MPs
What else should we be doing, to ensure our Top End environments and communities are supported? Reply to this email to let us know.
Most importantly look after yourself, your family and the community around you – we’ll get through this together.